Ancient River Valley Civilizations
Complete document for both sessions of Ancient River Valley Civilizations. This is a large file and should be downloaded (right-click on link) and viewed in Adobe Reader.
Session 1. Evaluating the Location of Ancient River Valley Civilizations
In this lesson students examine the physical environment of the early river valley civilizations. In addition to identifying the locations of the ancient civilizations, students complete a feature analysis to assist them in comparing the physical environment and determining how it afforded protection to the civilizations.
- Why was a river valley a good place for a settlement?
- What was the significance of these river valley civilizations?
Note: The following files contain layered pdfs. In order to manipulate the map layers, you must download each file.
Lesson with attachments is large file and should be downloaded (right-click on link) and viewed in Adobe Reader
- Attachment A: Early River Valley Civilizations Outline Map
- Attachment B: Early River Civilizations Map in Color
- Attachment C: Early River Valley Civilizations Map Key
- Attachments D-G: all placards (available individually below)
- Attachment D: Mesopotamian Civilization: Tigris and Euphrates Valleys
- Attachment E: Egyptian Civilization Nile River Valley
- Attachment F: Indian Civilization: Indus River Valley
- Attachment G: Chinese Civilization: Huang He Valley
- Attachment H: Physical Environment of Early River Valley Civilizations
- Attachment I: Cradles of Civilization
- Attachment J: Cradles of Civilization Key
- Attachment K: Huang He River Valley Dry Areas
- Attachment L: Indus River Valley Dry Areas
- Attachment M: Nile River Valley Dry Areas
- Attachment N: Tigris and Euphrates River Valleys Dry Areas
Attachment O: Using Layered Portable Document Files (pdfs)
Online interactive map: http://bit.ly/175xIEG
To Session 2.
Return to World History and Geography to 1500 A.D. (C.E.) page.
A product of the Virginia Geographic Alliance.