Overview: In collaboration with Esri (Environmental Systems Research Institute) Education, the Virginia Geographic Alliance is coordinating the 2017-18 Virginia Map contest based on the theme, “How has my environment (physical or social) changed over time?” Showcase the work of your students as they use the resources of an Esri Organizational Account to create a Story Map Journal or Web App to communicate their interpretation of the theme.
The theme is broad enough to encompass a variety of disciplines and multiple perspectives of the area encompassed by the anchoring geographic area– statewide or local watershed.
Students can research and explore a variety of topics of the chosen geographic area: geological characteristics, flora and fauna, environmental issues facing Virginia and their local communities, historical events, famous personalities and leaders, demographic characteristics, economic activities, the cultural landscape and more.The geographic focus of the student-created products must be located within the Commonwealth of Virginia
The competition is separated into two divisions: middle school (grades 4-8) and high school (grades 9-12).
New this year:
1. Early Mentoring. This process provides an opportunity for the judges to provide feedback and advice on the product’s content and presentation. The judges will not score the entry during this initial review. Feedback will be provided to the teacher. Students can then choose whether or not to modify their projects based on the judge’s recommendations. The feedback will be sent to the teacher.
2. Webinars for teachers to provide tips for enhancing and refining story map apps.
Download pdf of rules (coming soon)
December 6, 2017: First Webinar. Details on flyer.
December 14, 2017: Deadline for Competition Registration* https://goo.gl/forms/fOrBmlq4K
mid-February: Form for early mentoring entry submissions available: https://docs.google.com/
Thursday, March 8, 2018: Entries requesting early mentoring review must be submitted by this date. Feedback will be provided to the requesting teacher by March 23, 2018.
Thursday, March 8, 2018: Using ArcGIS Online Analysis Tools
Tuesday, March 20, 2018: Q & A for Creating Quality Story Maps
March 23, 2018: Feedback from early mentoring shared with teachers
mid-April 2018: Form for entry submission available
Thursday, May 3, 2018: Deadline for submission of competition entries. (Entry form will be available on VGA website in late January 2018)
Friday May 22, 2018: Competition winners notified
Download flyer with key dates
Obtain an ArcGIS Online organizational account for your school at http://www.esri.com/connected#school
- How to make a story map: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/how-to/
- What kind of story do you want to tell? https://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/app-list/
- Designing story maps: https://esri.app.box.com/
s/ zoywbfh1bsn5wiltp6vu0sg140od28 0j
- Getting started with apps: http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/get-started/get-started-with-apps.htm
- ArcGIS Online: App Basics (YouTube Movie)
- Esri Launch Page
- ArcGIS Online: Sharing Basics (You Tube Movie)
- ArcGIS Online: Analysis Basics (You Tube Movie)